- “You can’t register here because you are not really expecting.” (Said to a soon-to-be adoptive mom when she tried to register at Babies“R”Us.)
- “I couldn't love a child that wasn't mine. I just don’t get why people would want to adopt.”
- “You never know what you are going to get when you adopt!” and this little jewel: “Why would you want to adopt someone else’s reject?”
- “If you adopt from foster care, the child will go back to their bio family just as soon as they are old enough.”
- “You’re doing it the easy way.” (Said to a women who was having a rough adoption journey after a long struggle with infertility.)
We were amazed at the lack of sensitivity sometimes displayed toward adoptive parents to be. As prospective adoptive parents know, a big part of the process is educating those around them about why they are interested in adopting and the adoption process itself. Using positive terminology about adoption is helpful. And, politely but firmly responding to some of these negative and hurtful comments may help the speaker think more carefully next time.
Drafted by Brittany Alness, staff member of the Law Offices of Karen S. Law, PLC.
This web site and the information contained within have been prepared by Law Offices of Karen S. Law, PLC for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, nor does receipt of it constitute an attorney-client relationship. Viewers should not act upon information found here without seeking legal counsel. All photographs shown on this blog are depictions of clients and are not actual clients of this law firm. Copyright Karen S. Law, 2015.